A structure fire in the Bay Breeze Circle area of Hudgins Saturday sent a homeowner scrambling and may have resulted in a total loss of the structure.
The Mathews Volunteer Fire Department responded with three fire engines and one truck at 5:35 p.m. to put out a blaze that the homeowner said started with a pot on the stove that got out of control. There were no injuries, as the resident was able to self-evacuate and save his dogs, according to MVFD Assistant Chief Alan Hartlove.
“We had a stiff breeze coming off the bay,” Hartlove said, “which accelerated the fire … which is always a battle.” When asked if the home will be deemed a total loss, Hartlove said, “While I’m not usually the one who determines that—it’s usually the insurance company—it is looking like it will be.”
The department returned to the site the following afternoon with one engine and one truck following a call from the homeowner fearing the fire ma...
To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.