Press "Enter" to skip to content

Firefighters save two dogs in Ordinary house fire

First responders were able to save two dogs that were trapped inside a burning home Monday evening on Ashley Street at Ordinary.

The fire apparently started in the kitchen of the home, according to Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad spokesperson Robert Parlett, and no one was home at the time of the blaze.

Parlett said neighbors called in the fire around 5 p.m. after seeing smoke coming from the eaves of the house. “The neighbors knew the dogs were in there, so the first crew on scene focused its efforts on locating the dogs,” he said.

One dog, a boxer, was found behind a sofa in the living room, and was brought outdoors unresponsive. The other dog was also taken outside, and both were given water, oxygen and massages, trying to get them to come around. Both dogs eventually perked up. “By the time firefighters were finishing up at the scene, the dogs were walking around wagging their tails,” Parlett said.

He said similar efforts were made on a cat that...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.