Dr. William Rutherford Mauck passed away in Richmond on April 28, 2019. Bill was born on February 15, 1930, a son of the late Dr. Henry Page Mauck and Harriet Morrison Hutcheson.
Bill is survived by his wife of 34 years, Marilyn Lewis Mauck. The family is extremely grateful for the loving care Marilyn provided Bill as his health declined. He was formerly married to the late Roberta Mauck Ames and their three children survive him: William Rutherford Mauck, Jr. (Nancy), Andrew Gray Mauck (Anne), and Cary Cutchins Mauck (Missy), along with his eight grandchildren, whom he loved dearly (Caroline, Billy, Stuart, Graham, Isabel, Emily, Sally, and Cary). In addition, he is survived by Marilyn’s sister, Lori McCoy (David), and their children, Kate and Grace, and Marilyn’s brother-in law Benson Sheally. Bill was preceded in death by his brothers, Dr. Robert H. Mauck and Dr. H. Page Mauck, Jr.
Bill attended St. Christopher’s School (class of 1948) where he was a standout basketball player and baseball pitcher. He went on to pitch at Washington and Lee University and for several local and semi-professional baseball teams including for Dr. Pepper in the Richmond Southside League and the Gloucester County Butterflies.
Following in the footsteps of his father, Bill became an orthopedic surgeon. After graduating from W&L in 1952, he attended the Medical College of Virginia (graduated 1956), and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at the Medical College of Virginia (now VCU/MCV). After serving in the U.S. Army stationed in Hot Springs, Arkansas, he returned to Richmond and began his medical practice with Mauck, Butterworth and Daner, Orthopedic Surgeons, a firm founded by his father, which was eventually renamed the West End Orthopedic Clinic, and today is OrthoVA.
A compassionate doctor, Bill had a wonderful bedside manner and treated his patients and co-workers with dignity and respect, and a large dose of humor. Quick witted with an outgoing personality, Dr. Mauck treated thousands of patients in his practice and donated countless hours to disadvantaged persons from all over the area. Like his father, he regularly visited free clinics in Heathsville and West Point. He served on the Board of the Children’s Hospital and on the Board of Trustees of Henrico Doctors Hospital.
Bill and Marilyn were passionate about dogs and raised Bernese Mountain Dogs, a Brussels Griffon, a Belgian Malinois and Japanese Chins, many of which won awards including at the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
Bill’s other passion was his family summer home on Ware Neck in Gloucester County called “The Island.” Bought by his parents the year he was born, he spent his childhood summers there and in Rockbridge Baths, the birthplace of his mother. In later years, he and Marilyn bought land near The Island and built their own home on the North River named “Rudlyn.” An unabashed Frank Sinatra fan, no trip to Ware Neck was complete without his singing along to one of the countless Sinatra tapes he had in his car. He was a fiercely competitive tennis player, a family historian, an avid fisherman, a hopeless sweet tooth, a World War II buff, and an amateur mechanic. He taught his children to treat people with respect and honesty and to never forget the importance of family.
Please consider a donation in Bill’s honor to St. Christopher’s School or the Gloucester Mathews Humane Society.