Virginia should expand Medicaid! There are many good reasons to do so.
1) The Expansion of Medicaid coverage is paid 100 percent by the federal government until 2020 and 90 percent after that.
2) Expansion will bring in billions of new dollars, which will be good for Virginia.
3) Virginia uninsured residents would be reduced dramatically without having to raise significant additional Commonwealth revenue.
4) Those new Medicaid dollars will create jobs. As more patients have access to care, hospitals, community health centers, labs, and nursing homes will buy more supplies and hire more workers. Thus with the economic multiplier effect the overall economy will experience positive benefits.
5) If Medicaid is not expanded, hospitals will continue to struggle to care for patients who cannot pay their bills. Hospitals only have a legal obligation to stabilize the patient’s life, but not to provide complete care. As the cost of this uncompensa...
To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.