Press "Enter" to skip to content

Fire damages Cobbs Creek home

A house on Linden Avenue in Cobbs Creek sustained around $50,000 in damages from a fire that started at around 2:30 p.m. Sunday.

Chief Ronnie Lewis said the fire began on a futon-style bed in an attic space that had been converted into a bedroom. The father was at work and the mother tried to extinguish the fire but was overwhelmed by smoke. She and her three children escaped unharmed, along with their dog and several cats. One cat that had remained in the house downstairs was rescued by firefighters. It briefly suffered from smoke inhalation, but recovered.

The attic area of the house was a total loss and will have to be replaced, along with the roof, said Lewis. The downstairs sustained only a small amount of water damage.

Three engines, a tanker, and a rescue truck responded to the fire, along with approximately 24 firefighters.

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.