Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue volunteers battled a dangerous structure fire last Wednesday morning on Ban Road near Perrin. Fire destroyed the home, but no injuries were reported as a result of the blaze, according to Robert Parlett, public information officer for AVFR.
Parlett said the first firefighters arrived on scene around 4 a.m. and saw heavy fire showing from the front and rear of the two-story home. "There were quite a bit of hazards in the house, making interior firefighting very dangerous," he said.
Toward the rear of the home, numerous machines with gasoline engines and gas tanks were erupting in flames, he added. Foam was used to extinguish the fuel fires.
According to Parlett, fire extended from the rear of the home to attached outbuildings. "Entry was not possible due to material stored inside," he said. Also, a six-foot security fence from the front of the house from its corner to the property line impeded access to the rear of the home....
To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.