Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cobbs Creek fire displaces family of 5

A structure fire in a Cobbs Creek home on Wednesday, March 23 has left a family of five without a place to live. Several pets died in the blaze.

Mathews Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ronnie Lewis said the fire was called in around 9:30 a.m. when the homeowner woke to the smell of smoke. He woke his daughter, and they exited the cinder-block building. The mother and two other children were not home at the time.

Lewis said there was smoke showing when the first engine arrived on the scene, but firefighters were quickly able to contain the blaze with about 100 gallons of water. It was determined that the cause of the fire was a malfunctioning electric heater in a bedroom.

Four engines and a tanker responded to the scene, with around 15 personnel, said Lewis. They were on the scene around two hours. Mutual aid was initially requested from Gloucester, but was canceled.

Kim Lippard, who owns the home with her husband, Keeland, said that her husband sustained burns to his back ...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.