Press "Enter" to skip to content

Building official’s office is a good first stop in the process

Whether you’re making minor improvements like adding a deck or shed or large changes like room additions or selling a home, checking with your local building official can be a constructive experience.

Gloucester County’s Building Official Paul Koll and building inspector/plans examiner Bill Riter have a wealth of information for homeowners about building, buying or remodeling.

Before starting a project, even something as small as adding a carport or garden shed, the county advises homeowners to inquire about regulations and permits.

“If there’s anything done on the property, review those things to see if a permit is required,” explained Koll.

Even sheds as small as 256 square feet can require a zoning permit.

While smaller structures usually don’t require a building permit zoning permits still may be required, especially if the property is near waterways, protected wetlands or flood zones.

In addition to the permitting process, Koll and Riter r...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.