Press "Enter" to skip to content

Structure fire

A fire around 9 o’clock Wednesday morning caused extensive damage to this home on Beaver Pond Road near James Store. Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad spokesperson Hanna Carson reported that the fire was initially called in as a dryer fire, and later spread to other areas inside the home. The residents were home at the time the fire started, but were able to evacuate the structure and no injuries were reported. According to Carson, the fire caused smoke and other damage to about 30 percent of the home. She said 21 volunteers arrived at the scene, including five trucks, a medic unit and a tanker from Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue, which responded in mutual aid. Mathews Volunteer Fire Department also responded in mutual aid to the blaze. Photo by Quinton Sheppard

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.