Press "Enter" to skip to content

Oven catches fire at Abingdon Elementary

Students at Abingdon Elementary School in Hayes had to evacuate the building Tuesday morning just after 10 o’clock due to a fire in the school’s kitchen. Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue spokesperson Robert Parlett said the fire was due to an electrical malfunction of one of the ovens.

Though the fire was contained to the oven, smoke filled the kitchen, cafeteria and some of the hallways.

“Our first priority was to get the fire out and then get the kids back inside as quickly as possible because it was dripping and drizzling outside,” Parlett said.

Three fire engines, two medic units and approximately 20 volunteers responded to the fire. No injuries were reported. ...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.