Press "Enter" to skip to content

Letter: Property owner : use care hooking up generator

Editor, Gazette-Journal:

I am writing in response to an article in the paper on April 28 about a structure fire. I wanted to clarify some of the information in the article. My husband and I own the doublewide that was burned down on April 20, 2011. We have rented this property out for the last nine years and it was correctly and legally connected to the power box and supplied service by Virginia Power.

We were unaware that there was a generator supplying service to the home. We would like to encourage anyone losing power service to please check on different avenues before hooking up a generator. At the least, have it installed by a professional so that it is done correctly.

Because of this oversight, we have lost our rental home, along with the much-needed income. We are very thankful that there was no loss of life. Thank you for your time.

Sylvia Smith

Weems, Va.

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.