First and foremost, the Kersmarki family would like to express their gratitude to every one of the Mathews fire crew who came out on July 26 to our daughter’s house fire in Onemo. Without them, that house would not be standing. Each one is a hero in our hearts.
Two of her roommates were sleeping upstairs when one woke up, greeted by a terrible wall of black smoke. He ran back up to wake the other roommate. They got the animals out and dialed 911.
This newspaper gave this fire a two-sentence mention, calling it a smoke investigation; yet the county condemned the house. They have to stay on the property because of the animals. The homeowner does not have insurance, nor did our daughter (whose name is on the lease) have renter’s insurance. Hard lesson learned.
If anyone wishes to help these hard-working young adults get back into a safe home, you can donate three ways: 1. Prayers. 2. S. Kersmarki, P.O. Box 185, Dutton, Va. 23050. 3. PayPal.com, dru...
To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.