Press "Enter" to skip to content

Homeowners cautioned about overloading electrical outlets

Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad Fire Prevention Officer Tony Villani is warning homeowners about the dangers of overloaded electrical outlets after a recent incident.

Villani said the squad responded to a report of a possible structure fire last Thursday and found the fire with the help of a thermal imaging camera. The hidden fire was in the ceiling, he said, and it was due to an overloaded circuit from having too many extension cords connected to a single outlet.

The thermal imaging camera showed the “heat signature” where the fire was located, he said, including the heat signature of the electric line that ran from the overloaded outlet to the fire in the ceiling.

Villani urged homeowners take care not to overload electrical outlets by running too many power cords at one time. He said the fire department is willing to conduct a Home Fire and Life Safety Survey to help homeowners identify potential hazards.

To ask for a survey, visit, click on Fir...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.