Press "Enter" to skip to content

Hands Across Mathews accepting donations for fire victim

Hands Across Mathews is accepting monetary contributions to help out a man who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning and serious burns to his hands last month when his mobile home in Bohannon caught fire.

Bill Simmons of Hands Across Mathews said that Allen Haywood of Port Haywood had contacted him seeking financial help in the wake of the fire, and Simmons agreed to have the organization collect donations on Haywood’s behalf.

Haywood said he was at home alone on Dec. 3 when an outside generator that he was using for electricity caught fire, setting his mobile home ablaze.

He said that everything he owned was in the mobile home but that he could not accept donations of household goods because he is currently staying with his father at Port Haywood and has no storage space. He said that cash donations would be helpful because he cannot pursue the work he generally does as a carpenter until his hands heal.

Donations may be made to Hands Across Mathews, P.O. Box 130, Mathews, Va. 2...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.