Press "Enter" to skip to content

Gloucester resident recovering after burns from trash fire

A fund has been established at Woodforest National Bank at Gloucester’s Walmart to help the family of Scott Baker, a Gloucester electrician who was burned last week when gas fumes exploded while he was tending an outdoor trash fire at his home on Farys Mill Road.

Baker sustained third-degree burns to both of his legs and to his right hand, according to his mother-in-law, Marcia Pittman. He was taken by helicopter to MCV in Richmond, where he remains in the burn unit. She said he has received blood transfusions and has undergone surgery and is expected to require more transfusions and surgery in the coming days.

Baker has medical insurance but doesn’t have short-term disability, so he won’t have income to cover living expenses for several months, Pittman said. Baker and his wife, Emily, have five small children living at home. Even with insurance, "they’ll have a lot of hospital bills," said Pittman.

Pittman said there has been an outpouring of ...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.