Press "Enter" to skip to content

Gloucester home destroyed as result of grease fire

A house in the 10800 block of George Washington Memorial Highway in Gloucester was a total loss last Wednesday after a grease fire got out of control and spread.

Gloucester Fire Prevention Officer Tony Villani said that 29 firefighters responded to the scene shortly after 6 p.m. to find the fire was already well underway, with flames coming out of the windows in the back of the house.

The homeowner had been cooking French fries when the grease ignited, and he escaped without injury, Villani said. However, he was barefooted and, once the fire was out, Gloucester firefighters were able to find him a pair of shoes inside.

Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad responded with four engines, a tanker, a heavy rescue truck, and a medic unit, said Villani, while Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded with a tanker. Two firefighters were treated at the scene for minor injuries—one for a burn and another for overexertion.

Villani said that when a grease fire occurs, the fi...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.