Firefighters were busy Thursday morning in Gloucester battling two structure fires in brutally cold conditions—one at Crutchman’s, also known as the former Gloucester Emporium; and, immediately after that, at a home on the York River at Allmondsville. Both structures sustained significant damage, but no injuries were reported with either blaze.
Firefighters were called to a report of a structure fire at Crutchman’s just around 9 a.m. and found heavy smoke coming from a chimney on the side of the structure, according to J.D. Clements, chief of Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad, Inc.
Clements said the chimney was connected to an oil-burning furnace. He said it appeared as if the furnace did not directly cause the fire, but looked more like the chimney had failed.
Other fire departments rushed to the scene to help, including Mathews Volunteer Fire Department, Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue and Hartfield Volunteer Fire Department. “We...
To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.