Press "Enter" to skip to content

Fire damages Old Pinetta Road home

A fire that started in the kitchen of a home on Old Pinetta Road on Monday morning damaged roughly 75 percent of the Gloucester home.

The fire started as a small grease fire that quickly overwhelmed the residents. Fortunately, no one was injured by the blaze and residents were able to get out of the home in time.

According to Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue member Joe Lenderman, two tankers, four engines, a rescue and a medic unit all arrived at the scene with 30 personnel in tow. Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue responded with mutual aid. According to Lenderman, the fire was under control in about an hour.

Lenderman said that he believes the fire began with two children cooking and not understanding how to properly handle a grease fire. He wants families to remember that this is an interesting time, with schools being shut down and some children being left home alone.

He said that the potential for such fires has increased with more people staying home. Also, he re...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.