Press "Enter" to skip to content

Editorial: The use of a dinky

Not "it’s dinky" but "it’s a dinky."

What is a dinky? You can look it up and find such definitions as "small and insignificant" or "acronym for Double Income, No Kids Yet."

Neither of these, however, applies to the peculiar use of dinky in newspaper work; for the full definition, search for "dinky newsprint." Dinky is one of those words of jargon that define what we do; and today, as part of our occasional series on odd newspaper terms, we tell you about it.

If the production manager tells the press crew to "put a dinky on it," he means to get a half-roll of newsprint, one that prints just one page on each side, and put it on the press. The Gazette-Journal press can accommodate up to six full rolls that print four pages each, front and back … it can print 24 pages.

But if we have a section that is 22 pages, as we do this week, we need to put on a roll that is half the width of the full roll. Thus, the dinky is called for.

Any time you get a newspaper sect...

To view the rest of this article, you must log in. If you do not have an account with us, please subscribe here.