Two sentenced in double homicide

by Kim Robins - Posted on Mar 13, 2019 - 01:55 PM

Two of three persons charged in connection with a double homicide in Hayes in December 2017 were sentenced Monday in Gloucester Circuit Court.

Helga Marie Frost, 29, and Eleni Gabrielle Wright-Bonnette, 24, were fatally shot on Dec. 11, 2017 in the Hayes home the two shared. Much of the incident was captured on surveillance video inside their home.

Judge Jeffrey W. Shaw gave Kenneth R. Miller, 40, of Hayes an active sentence of 85 years and Amanda K. Epps, 24, also of Hayes an active sentence of 23 years.

Shaw sentenced Miller to 50 years on each of two counts of first degree murder, 30 years on each of two counts of robbery and a total of eight years for two counts of using a firearm. 

Shaw said the two 50-year and two 30-year sentences would run concurrently, and a three-year sentence for the first of the firearm charges would run currently with a active five-year sentence for the second count of use of a firearm.

Miller had pleaded not guilty to the charges but was found guilty in November 2018 after two days of proceedings. He said Monday he would appeal the court’s findings. 

Epps pleaded guilty in December 2018 to two counts of felony homicide and one count of use of a firearm. Shaw sentenced her to 20 years on each of the homicide counts, with the terms to run concurrently, and three years for use of a firearm.

According to testimony, Epps drove Miller to the crime scene and waited in the vehicle while he went inside to rob the two women. In the video, Miller is seen pulling a firearm and directing the women to a back bedroom.

After muzzle flashes are seen, Miller exits the room alone and leaves the home with a safe. According to testimony, he told Epps and a backseat passenger, Charley Riley, that he had to shoot the women because they were going to call the police.

Riley, of Topping, pleaded guilty in January to two counts of being an accessory after the fact. His sentencing was also set for Monday but was delayed due to his attorney being ill.

Gloucester Commonwealth’s Attorney Holly Smith and her deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Megan Zwisohn prosecuted the cases. Miller was represented by attorney Stephen Palmer and Epps by attorney Sydney Speight.