Devils pick up 28-14 win in homecoming game

Charlie Koenig - Posted on Oct 16, 2013 - 02:01 PM


The Mathews High School varsity football team finally made it to the win column Monday night, defeating the King and Queen Tigers, 28-14, in a homecoming battle at Ken Brown Field between two 0-5 squads.

The game, and the MHS homecoming celebration, was originally scheduled for Friday. The game was postponed following days of heavy rain, and the parade was eventually cancelled.

Mathews got on the scoreboard early. The Devils booted and recovered an onside kick to start the game, and drove downfield quickly, capped by a 1-yard touchdown run by Dayshon Williamson. P.J. Johnson converted on the first of four PAT kicks to give Mathews a 7-0 lead with 7:20 left in the opening quarter.

A second onside kick was recovered by King and Queen, and the Tigers took advantage of the shortened field, scoring on an eight-yard keeper by quarterback Chris Edwards. The two-point conversion failed and Mathews held a narrow 7-6 lead at the end of the first quarter.

Sparked by big carries by Jesse Ingram and Austin Fravel, the Devils found themselves in scoring position once again. Fravel burst through the line from five yards out to put Mathews ahead at the half, 14-6.

Mathews held an extended halftime to introduce this year’s homecoming court and crown the king and queen—seniors Christopher Perreault and Jacqueline Stewart.

Coming back in the third quarter, King and Queen tried to catch Mathews off-guard with an onside kick, but it rolled short of the required 10 yards and the Devils found themselves with good field position. A pass from quarterback Will Harrington to Deondre Foster put Mathews in scoring position, with Fravel picking up his second touchdown of the night on a three-yard run.

King and Queen threatened on the next series, but Darian Beale recovered a Tiger fumble deep in Devil territory to keep the score 21-6. On the final play of the third quarter, Mathews extended its lead to 28-6 on a 20-yard touchdown run by Williamson.

The Tigers narrowed the margin early in the fourth quarter, with a touchdown and two-point conversion. On its next possession, Mathews marched downfield, but fumbled the ball, with King and Queen taking over at their own 40. Offensive lineman Cole Malise made a tackle that potentially saved a touchdown on that play.

King and Queen attempted to narrow the gap once again, but Mathews held firm near the goal line, eventually causing a fumble that was recovered by Marshall Barrack. Fravel then broke a couple big runs to lock down the win for the Devils.