Letter: 21 reasons for Obama
Vice presidential candidate Paul D. Ryan was quoted in Monday’s New York Times as saying that President Obama "cannot run on his record." I vehemently disagree; our president’s record has been impressive! Here are 21 reasons why:
1. Crafted a stimulus that saved this nation from a crushing depression.
2. Saved the auto industry.
3. Stabilized the financial institutions.
4. Got our nation out of Iraq.
5. Is on target to get our nation out of Afghanistan.
6. Is vigorously attempting to defuse the Iranian threat through diplomacy.
7. Boldly "took the bull by the horns" and resolved the threat of Osama bin Laden.
8. Eliminated "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" in the Armed Forces.
9. Has been a forceful advocate for our veterans and wounded servicemen and women.
10. Appointed two outstanding Justices to the Supreme Court.
11. Brought affordable health care to millions of our citizens.
12. Made college more affordable for all students.
13. In "Race to the Top," has improved primary and secondary education in our public schools.
14. Adroitly managed a disastrous oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
15. Reduced our dependency on foreign oil.
16. Has fostered visionary clean energy programs.
17. Has fostered equal pay for women, and been an advocate for women’s reproductive rights.
18. Has moved to protect a vulnerable immigrant population.
19. Has restored our tarnished image in the world.
20. Has been an ardent advocate for family values.
21. Has placed our country on a path to greater prosperity.
Am I better off than I was four years ago? You bet I am—by a long shot! But I am abundantly aware that not every American is better off. There are many problems facing our nation, but for the next four years, I would surely like to elect leaders with four years’ experience, a vision and a plan.
James E.C. Norris, M.D.
New York, N.Y.