Hodges presented the resolution, which states that in May of last year, the Gloucester Rotary Club celebrated 50 years of putting "service above self," during the club’s regular meeting at First Presbyterian Church, Gloucester.
According to the resolution, the original Gloucester Rotary Club, formed in 1933, surrendered its charter when World War II fuel rationing made it impossible for members to attend required meetings. The club reconvened in 1962 with 21 charter members, after being sponsored by the Richmond Rotary Club.
Since 1962, according to the resolution, membership in the Gloucester Rotary Club has nearly doubled, with its members "loyally assisting other fledgling clubs," including sponsorship of the Gloucester Point and Mathews Rotary clubs.
The resolution goes on to state much of the Gloucester Rotarians’ early work dealt with pressing medical issues such as polio vaccination and the establishment of a local hospital. The club, it states, continues to establish a strong record of community service, now donating almost $20,000 annually to local schools, charities and organizations.