The Gazette-Journal’s office in Tidemill Center, Gloucester Point, will close at the end of August. It is currently open on Mondays and Tuesdays.
The office opened in 1978. Changing ways of doing business, especially increased used of the internet to transmit advertising, news and photographs, have decreased the need for this office, according to newspaper publisher Elsa Verbyla.
The office has a number of unclaimed photographs used through the years and returned for owners’ pickup; they will be taken to the main office at Gloucester and kept there until the end of the year.
The Gazette-Journal’s main office is at 6625 Main Street, Gloucester, and the predecessor Gloucester Gazette dates from 1919. A branch on Court Street in Mathews marks continuous presence of the newspaper in that county since a predecessor paper, The Mathews Journal, began operations about 1904.
For more information, call 642-2191 or 693-3101.