Dutton Road fire temporarily displaces family

by Quinton Sheppard - Posted on May 25, 2011 - 05:54 PM

A fire just before 10 o’clock Tuesday night temporarily displaced a family of four from their Dutton Road home.

C.W. Miller, assistant fire chief with Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department, reported that a fire occurred in the ceiling of the master bedroom closet of the Johnson residence and the cause appeared to have been electrical in nature.

Miller said the fire was quickly brought under control and contained to the one room. However, water caused damage to the downstairs living room below the bedroom and there was smoke damage throughout the home.

Miller said 28 volunteers from Gloucester responded, while 10 from Mathews Volunteer Fire Department responded mutual aid. Several members from Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue stood by with an engine at Station 1. He said that six engines, one tanker, one utility truck and one ambulance responded to the call.