Chimney fire damages Port Haywood home

- Posted on Jan 08, 2014 - 12:27 PM
Fire caused $15,000 to $20,000 worth of damage to a Port Haywood home in the 4000 block of New Point Comfort Highway on Tuesday.
 
Mathews Volunteer Fire Chief Todd Wilson said the blaze started in a chimney, and a fault in the chimney allowed fire to enter the wall in a second floor bedroom and spread into the attic. A flue opening for a second floor fireplace had been covered over during renovations and the cover had cracked, allowing flames from the chimney to escape, he said.
 
A firefighter was on the scene within five minutes after the fire was reported, said Wilson, and fire trucks weren’t far behind, so the fire “was knocked down pretty quick.”
 
Fire damage was contained to the second floor wall and the attic, he said, but there was smoke damage to the second floor and water damage to both the first and second floors. No one was injured.
 
About 20 firefighters responded to the fire in spite of Tuesday’s record cold temperatures. They brought along three engines, a utility truck, and an ambulance.