100 years and counting

by Quinton Sheppard - Posted on Oct 02, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Photo: The board of directors of the West Mathews Community League, seated from left, include celebration chair Ginger Riley, vice president Page Herbert, buildings and grounds chair Dave Machen, president Glen Morgan and program chair Audrey Mason; not shown, luncheon chair Lisa Machen. The league’s building will turn 100 years old this month. Photo by Quinton Sheppard

The board of directors of the West Mathews Community League, seated from left, include celebration chair Ginger Riley, vice president Page Herbert, buildings and grounds chair Dave Machen, president Glen Morgan and program chair Audrey Mason; not shown, luncheon chair Lisa Machen. The league’s building will turn 100 years old this month. Photo by Quinton Sheppard

Photo: Gloucester Woman’s Club past presidents Christine Dragoo, left, and Martha Morton will greet visitors Saturday at Edge Hill House, for the club’s 100th anniversary celebration.

Gloucester Woman’s Club past presidents Christine Dragoo, left, and Martha Morton will greet visitors Saturday at Edge Hill House, for the club’s 100th anniversary celebration.

Two valuable community groups in each county are celebrating special milestones this weekend. The Gloucester Woman’s Club is celebrating its 100th anniversary Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Edge Hill House and the West Mathews Community League will be celebrating the 100th anniversary of its building from 11 a.m.-2 p.m., also on Saturday.

Woman’s Club

Saturday’s celebration of the Gloucester Woman’s Club will include cake, re-enactors, docents and other refreshments and is free and open to the community.

The Gloucester Woman’s Club, established in 1913 by the women’s committee of the Gloucester Agricultural Association, furnished the first floor of Edge Hill as its meeting place. The woman’s club incorporated independently of the GAA in 1918 and the GAA sold the building to the club in 1920.

Since its beginning, the woman’s club has had the objective of maintaining a place for the women of the county to meet for business and for social purposes.