Members of the Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad, Inc. responded to this structure fire at around10:45 Monday morning in the 6600 block of Ark Road. According to fire chief J.D. Clements, the owner arrived home and discovered the fire. When firefighters arrived on scene, Clements said the left side of the home was fully involved and the fire was extending to the attic. It took firefighters about an hour and a half to extinguish the blaze and many volunteers didn’t finish overhauling the scene until after 6 o’clock that evening. Clements said no one was hurt and the cause of the fire was an electrical short in a wire connection running to an outdoor refrigerator. The home is a total loss. Members of the GVFRS received mutual aid from Abingdon and Mathews volunteer fire departments. Clements said 23 firefighters from GVFRS responded to the scene along with four engines, a tanker, a heavy rescue truck and a medic unit. The family who was displaced by the fire is staying with family in the area. Photos by Quinton Sheppard
To view this article in its entirety, subscribe here.
Already an online subscriber? Login Here