Smoldering brush pile sparks fire that destroys two sheds
Embers from a nearby smoldering brush pile appear to be the cause of a fire around 10:30 p.m. Saturday in the Woods Cross Roads area that destroyed two sheds, according to Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad spokesperson Hanna Carson.
When firefighters arrived on scene, two small storage sheds on the property were already fully involved, Carson said.
The two sheds were total losses and there was some heat damage to the exterior of two sheds on a neighboring property. She said no one was injured in the blaze.
Carson said the fire appeared to have started from embers blown from a smoldering leaf pile that had been burning earlier in the evening. Three engines and 15 volunteers responded to the fire.
Carson said that GVFRS officials remind everyone to be aware of weather conditions when burning brush piles. "With dry conditions and high wind, the potential for a fire to spread quickly is greatly increased," she said.
If anyone has questions about open burning, call Station #1 at 693-2148.