Onemo home damaged in electrical fire
An electrical fire caused extensive damage to a house in Onemo early Monday morning.
Chief Ricky Tomlinson of the Mathews Volunteer Fire Department said that the home at 2685 Bethel Beach Road sustained up to $40,000 in damages from a fire that began in an upstairs bedroom, probably caused by two electric heaters plugged into a single extension cord.
The occupants were outside the house and fire was showing in an upstairs bedroom window when the fire department arrived on the scene at 6:56 a.m., said Tomlinson. No one was taken to the hospital and the fire was under control in about 10 minutes.
Nineteen volunteers responded to the fire with three trucks from Station 1, one truck from New Point, and a rescue squad vehicle. Personnel were on the scene a little over an hour, said Tomlinson, during which volunteers from Gwynn’s Island stood by at Station 1.