Mathews added to FEMA list for hurricane aid
Mathews County has been added, along with 16 other localities in Virginia, to a list of communities eligible for federal disaster assistance to help local governments and select non-profit facilities recover from Hurricane Irene. Gloucester County has not yet been included.
Public Assistance is a cost-share reimbursement program that includes debris removal, emergency protective measures, road systems and bridges, water control facilities, public buildings and contents, public utilities and parks and recreation.
Elizabeth Childs, spokesperson for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, said the Public Assistance Program is open to state, local and tribal government agencies and certain non-profit organizations. Typically, she said the federal share of total eligible costs is 75 percent, with state and local agencies paying the remaining 25 percent.
The Commonwealth of Virginia has not yet requested federal assistance for individuals or businesses.