Little damage caused by two structure fires
A pair of unrelated Gloucester structure fires resulted in minor damage; both occurred on Oct. 20, Gloucester Volunteer Fire and Rescue Squad spokesperson Hanna Carson said.
The first fire was reported around 4 a.m. at a residence on Old Concord Lane near Clay Bank.
Carson said the fire began in a trash can in the bathroom, but had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived. "There was some fire damage isolated to the bathroom; however, there was some smoke damage throughout the residence," she said.
The homeowner was home at the time of the fire and was alerted by her smoke detectors. There were no injuries.
Two engines and eight people responded to the incident.
The second fire occurred that evening around 6 o’clock at a residence on Chestnut Fork Road in Bellamy. "Upon arrival, it was found that the homeowners had used a fire extinguisher to put out a small fire in a cardboard box," Carson said. "The fire was contained to the box and its contents, which were located in a bathroom."