Fire destroys Mathews garage
A detached garage was destroyed by fire on Tabernacle Road in Mathews Tuesday evening. In addition, the nearby house and shed sustained damage when the siding on the buildings melted, and a 2004 Ford minivan inside the garage was destroyed, for a total of approximately $50,000 to $55,000 in damages.
Assistant Chief Steve Shaw of the Mathews Volunteer Fire Department said the building was ablaze and the roof had collapsed when the fire department arrived at around 6:15 p.m. The primary goal of firefighters was to prevent further damage to the home, he said.
Shaw said the fire began accidentally when a resident of the home lit a match, threw it down, and "ignited something."
Three engines, a rescue truck, and an ambulance responded to the fire with about 20 personnel, said Shaw. They were on the scene around 20 minutes before the fire was brought under control, he said, and it took about an hour to extinguish it.