Fire destroys garage, vehicle and tools
A fire likely caused by flue gases leaking from a wood stove destroyed a detached garage, a vehicle inside, and thousands of dollars worth of tools in the Harbor Hills subdivision in Hayes Sunday night.
Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue Chief Herb Austin said the fire, which occurred at the home of Dallas and Karen Millen on River Road, threatened the owners’ home, but Mr. Millen used a water hose to wet down the side of the house, which probably saved it from extensive damage.
The call came in at 9:19 p.m. as a fully-involved structure fire, said Austin, along with a report that there was a large propane tank at the rear of the garage. When Austin arrived just minutes later, the second floor of the garage was already destroyed, several smaller buildings were on fire, and fire was spreading up a hill and through some woods toward a neighbor’s house. In addition, the pressure release valve on the propane tank began to vent, shooting a 50-foot flame of fire into the air.