Fire causes heavy damage to Hayes garage
A fire Monday afternoon caused heavy damage to the garage portion of a Hayes home. Abingdon Volunteer Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Brad Burgess reported that when firefighters responded to the scene at 8155 Billings Court just after 1 p.m., they saw fire and heavy smoke from the garage area.
Two residents were in the home at the time, Burgess said; one in the bedroom and another in the kitchen. Both were alerted to the fire and exited the structure without harm, Burgess added.
He said the fire was mostly contained to the garage; however, a door separating the garage from the house had burned away, allowing some smoke and water to enter the main house.
The owner of the home is listed as Kristina Melendez, according to county property records. However, Burgess said renters were occupying the structure at the time the fire occurred.