Burgh Westra, Glen Roy to be featured on Garden Week tour
The local tour has been a part of Garden Week for about 80 years. The first mention of the local Garden Week tour is found in a Gloucester Gazette from 1930. While the statewide tour was suspended during World War II, the Garden Club of Gloucester has played a part in nearly every other tour since its early days. One notable exception was 2004, as some of the properties that had been scheduled for opening recovered from heavy damage incurred during Hurricane Isabel in 2003.
Burgh Westra on the North River, which was built in 1850 and has remained in the original family since that time. It will be on tour for the first time since 1987. The present owners are Thomas and Carol Boyd; he is the great-grandson of Susan Taliaferro Wellford, sister of the first owner, Dr. Phillip A. Taliaferro. Burgh Westra was a hospital during the Civil War and is both a Virginia Historic Landmark and is listed on the Department of Interior’s Registry of Historic Places in America. In 1983, the house burned in an accidental fire, leaving behind only a portion of one room the two-foot thick brick walls and chimneys. It has since been restored and is now virtually identical to the original structure. The first and second floors, as well as a guesthouse patterned on the main house, will also be on tour.